Over time, many variants of poker have become hugely popular. So many games can be played online, such as 5 Card Draw, Texas Hold’em or even 7 Card Stud. One such game, that’s very widely played across the world, is Six Max Poker. This game has reached so many players through the years because it very closely resembles poker. It’s a very action packed game, and moves quite rapidly, which makes it a fun and engaging experience for players. All the six players sitting at the poker table are actively participating in the game at all times. This design of the game makes it an enjoyable experience, for sure, and has also spawned off Six Max Poker Tournaments.
Now, while the game sounds like a treat, many players only know the basic poker rules to play this game. However, if you want to succeed at Six Max Poker, it is important that you know some strategic tips that’ll push you forward in the game. But don’t worry if you’re not all caught up with these hacks. We’ve got all the strategic pointers you need to know. So, read on and find out how to play a good game of Six Max.
Strategy for Six Max Poker
The following tips will improve your gameplay when you play Six Max. They are as follows:
1) Positions: everyone who’s played a bit of poker knows that positions at the poker table are extremely important. You need to careful of your position when you play Six Max, as well. If you’re seated at the late positions, you can afford to be aggressive. However, when you’re in one of the earlier positions, it is better if you play a tighter game. Many players make the mistake of playing very aggressively in the beginning of the game, and play many hands. They end up losing their money and having to leave the game very early. Instead, it is better to fold several hands in order to remain in the game. This way you’ll remain in the game for longer. If you keep these pointers in mind when you’re in the earlier positions at the table, you’ll have a better chance of reaching the pot.
2) Playing with Fishes: a Fish is a poker player who plays a very tight game. That is, they play only when they have really strong hands. Such players only raise, or re-raise or either go all in. They’re playing this way because they’re extremely sure of their hands. When you’re playing against such players and your cards Post-Flop are quite bad, it is better to fold rather than to call or raise. All you’ll end up doing is wasting your money trying to defeat someone who definitely has better cards than you. To beat this hurdle, it is better to learn how to identify Fishes. Once you know how to spot them, you’ll be in a much better place to plan your own strategy in a practical manner. So, always be wary of the fishes at the poker table.
3) Aggression: aggressive play is an important part of poker and all its variants. Six Max is no exception. When you’re playing Six Max, ensure that your play is aggressive, especially when you have a very strong hand, like top pairs. In such cases, begin with a raise. This lets everyone at the table know of your superior cards and might cause some other players with mediocre cards to fold. It also ensures that limpers don’t make it to the Flop. If your cards hold a superior position even after the Flop, then you can re-raise or even attempt to go all in. This will not only reduce competition, but will also strengthen the pot. However, this kind of aggressive play only works when you have powerful hands. So, keep an eye on the strength of your cards as you hit the Flop, and you’ll be good to go.
4) Late Position Play: like any other variant of poker, playing from a late position is an advantage even in Six Max. Playing from a later position gives a player many benefits. You can always watch what the players before you are doing and plan your own game strategy accordingly. This gives you an opportunity to get a read on them, and then your decision making process becomes easier. Also, players at a late position get to play more hands, and their chances of winning these hands also increase. Plus, you get a chance to pull out some fancy tricks like bluffing and snatching the pot from your opponent. However, even while making such moves from a late position, you need to ensure that you have decent hands to act as a safety net. Otherwise, you’ll just lose your money, and maybe even the game.
5) Adjust Your Game: very often, players get used to their own playing style. While these players might win a few games, they don’t usually become great players. Instead of sitting at the table and playing the same game you’ve always been playing, it is better to adjust your game. Keep an eye on your opponents, their moves, and also try to read their cards. When you observe these aspects and then adjust your game to suit these circumstances, your game will definitely improve. When you’re playing against limpers, be sure to adjust your game to raise, so that you eliminate them. If your opponent is a tight player, then try to steal from him/her in the blinds. Such tweaks to your playing style will benefit you in the long run, and make you a better poker player.
With these tips in your arsenal, you’re sure to be a good Six Max player. You might even get to play some Six Max Poker Tournaments and show off all the skills you picked up. So, don’t waste time, and come join us at Spartan Poker to play some online poker!