Anyone who’s even heard of poker, or has not been living under a rock, has heard of the valuable Ace. It is such common knowledge that it’s even crept into our daily language. How often do you find yourself saying that you’ve ‘got an ace up your sleeve’, for even a mundane upper hand in life? Or even boasting about how you’ve ‘aced’ a test? You obviously know that the Ace is an important card in a card game. But which card game? And why is it so important? Well, you’ve come to the right place to look for the answers. I’ll tell you everything you need to know, not only about the Ace card, but about the deadly combination of Ace King.
Now, poker has a lot of variants, but the most commonly played poker game has to be Texas Hold’em poker. So today, we’ll be looking at the vastly important position held by Ace King, and also how to play it.
What is Ace King?
Poker is a game that is built on winning the pot, using the best hands. Hands are nothing but combinations of cards that a player builds. In a game of Texas Hold’em, players are dealt two starting cards, which are known as hole cards. As the game progresses, five community cards are placed on the table, face up. Using these two sets of cards, players construct their own hands. Based on a system of hand rankings, the best hand wins the game and the pot.
Out of all the possible starting hands a player can play with, the combination of Ace and King is one of the best. Sometimes, if lucky enough, a player is dealt Ace-King as their hole cards. And while this can feel like winning the lottery, it is not a straight up win. Playing Ace-King is quite tricky. If you’re worried, then don’t be. I’ve got you covered, and I’ll tell you about the tricks to play this combination.
Don’t let the power of Ace-King keep you down. If you’re lucky enough to have the opportunity to hold these cards, then you should know how to pay them, too. The following tips are bound to help you:
- The number one tip to remember is to play the cards. It’s easy to get intimidated into not playing them at all. However, that is a huge mistake. These cards can trump major competitors like Ace Queen and Ace Jack.
- Since you have such a strong hand, it is safe for you to raise the bet in the pre-flop round. You can afford to strengthen the pot since you have one of the strongest combinations available. However, if another player makes a big bet in the early stages of the game, you should call the bet. While Ace-King is one of the best hands, it is not the best, and you don’t want to risk raising an already high bet, in such circumstances.
- After pre-flop and during the flop round, when the community cards are revealed, take stock of them. It’s a big mistake to presume that you’re invincible or that you’re holding the best hand. Take the community cards into consideration and then analyze your potential hand. It’s a good idea to re-evaluate the game.
- Analyze and observe your opponents. Looking at the game they play and studying their moves can tell you a lot about the cards they hold. Especially observe their betting pattern, post-flop. Once the community cards have been dealt, all the players consider the hand they could build and bet accordingly. This will help you make an estimate of your position in the game.
- In case you happen to make it to the flop, you should continue to place bets on the Turn and the River. You should do this until you are re-raised by any of your other opponents. This keeps the pot high, and also shows your opponents that you have a strong hand, which might cause them to fold. If any other player has a stronger hand, then they will re-raise your bet, and you’ll know when to stop.
- An Ace-King is also the perfect hand to play in a looser game. This is because in tighter games, players don’t tend to chase draws and nor do they focus on playing cards that can defeat the top pair. So you know if your Ace-King is an advantage or not depending on how tight the game is.
Ace-King is surely an Ace up your sleeve (pun intended), and you should know how to play it wisely, and to your benefit. It could help you win a lot of games and cash.
In the end, you’ve learnt all the basics about Ace-King. Now all that’s left to do is to go and play some poker to see if you’ll be lucky enough to land an Ace-King. So come join us at Spartan and play poker online!